Saturday, October 11, 2014

Amy Mosiman: Poster-child of Bad Behavior

Really? C'mon! When it comes to my public persona, I diligently try to stay on the straight and narrow. I will, on the rare occasion, purchase  my husband some Molson Canadian but, even then, I'm slipping swiftly through the store, camouflaging my illicit purchase with deli meat and doughnuts. So yesterday, I wasn't exactly thrilled when my friends decided to set our pre-theater date meeting spot at a local bar and restaurant. I arrived early and felt uncomfortable about going in alone so I sat outside on a bench that was, inexplicably, facing away from the street. Awkward. Traffic buzzing by behind me only heightened my unease so I took a breath and breezed my way into the bar. Everyone turned to look at me but it was obvious that no one was impressed. I ordered a Pepsi with deep-fried potato chips and waited for my friends.

The next day found me at our favorite sub shop, the Gainesville Store. Run by a mom of one of my former students, she smiled as she handed me my ordered chicken finger sub. "Sami said she saw you going into a bar yesterday," she grinned as I stomped angrily across her worn wood-plank floor like Rumpelstiltskin. "Seriously?" I screeched. "Are you flippin' kidding me? The ONE time," I held up a finger for her to see, "the ONE time I go into a bar and a kid has to see me?" "Well, she recognized your coat," Sami's mom said, referring to my over-sized school bus yellow winter jacket. Mental note to Amy Mosiman:  Time for a new coat. "Would you please tell Sami that I just had a Pepsi?" I pleaded. I wanted to throw my fellow theater-goers under the bus but refrained. The retired kindergarten teacher of the group was greeted like she was "Norm" from Cheers and let's just say that she DID NOT order Pepsi. As usual, I took the high road.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm no uber-virtuous Maid Marian-type. Believe me, I have a wild side (Wait...are you laughing? Not cool). But I do try, somewhat, to be a role model of appropriate behavior for my students. So much for that. I might as well just let go now, since my reputation has been ruined. Maybe I'll get a second piercing in my ears. That'll show 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment