Friday, October 30, 2015

Who ya gonna call...on Halloween? Count the Ghostbuster quotes challenge

As always...it involved an epic battle of biblical proportions but the 4th grade team finally got their act together enough to embody the finest supernatural comedy created for audiences of 1984. I won't lie to ya...it was a little funky. Slimer sprouted legs and the Staypuff Marshmallow Man danced a mean "Stanky Leg" but we pulled it off.

"What do you mean, We pulled it off," growled Geri who had labored for weeks on making an authentic Ghostbusters uniform while the remainder of the team opted to save time by taking the Amazon route. "You didn't produce anything!" Geri fumed, "You've never been out of classroom! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." Naturally, we ignored her. The costumes had already been ordered. The was no sense in worrying about it now. Why worry, anyway? Just because each one of us was carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on her back?

"Mrs. Mosiman, I don't believe that your costume is appropriate for school," one of my little cherubs dressed as an American Assassin character, proclaimed. I decided to save my lessons on "irony" and "hypocrisy" for later. "The school handbook says that you can't have weapons and your proton pack is technically a weapon." I scowled at him. "Actually, when it comes to teachers," I told him, "it's more of a guideline than a rule." But my little guy wasn't the only one to pass unnecessary criticism regarding my outfit. As I was walking down the hall, my friend Pat caught a glimpse of me, brightened immediately, and then exclaimed to her companion, "Did you see Geri's costume? It was amazing!" Her companion whispered, "I think she can hear you, Pat." I breezed by this former friend, in my nearly see-thru, flimsy Ghostbusters outfit and said, "I don't have to take this abuse from you. I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."

Our fourth grade flashmob was a success. We were a little nervous as we entered the gym for the costume parade. I took a deep breath. "See ya on the other side, Kel," I said to my cardboard-carrying friend dressed as the Ghostbusters-mobile. "It was nice working with you, Mrs. Mosiman," she answered as we took our places.  Accustomed to leaving as soon as the parade concluded, some audience members began to get up. But the fourth grade thought, Maybe if we start dancing, other people will join in. And before you knew it, the entire gymnasium was pulsating like they were participants in the biggest interdimensional cross rip since the Tunguska blast of 1909. Two pairs of girls cartwheeled and did splits in a photo-finish finale as I screamed, "Don't cross the streams!" "How did I do," I gasped, passing Geri. "You were the best one in your row," she admitted before adding, "but I had the best outfit."



No comments:

Post a Comment