Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hat's off...oops, I meant "hair"...to Alea and Alexis!

 I adore my nieces and nephews. They are kind, intelligent, and compassionate people. Even to spend a small slice of time with them is a blessing. To share a slice of pizza during that slice of time is even better!

My nieces, Alexis and Alea, recently donated their hair as a part of an Anna's Wish event, shaving off their beautiful blond hair as an outward demonstration of their love and support and revealing their true inner beauty in the process. Meanwhile, back at home, I was lamenting the appearance of an unfortunate red spot on my nose the morning of School Picture Day which sent me into hysterics.

I was worried about my reaction upon meeting the girls following this rather drastic change in their appearance. What if their heads were lumpy? Brad and I attended Alea's swim meet and the first thing we noticed was that the lack of hair made her much more aerodynamic (or is it hydrodynamic?) which would undoubtedly increase her time. "Like a knife through butter," I whispered to my husband as Alea slid seamlessly though the water's surface for each of her five dives. The lack of hair also impacted her body temperature. Poor Alea stood shivering, wrapped in her animal print towel whenever she wasn't participating in an event. "She needs a knit cap," I observed. "That would go great with her swimsuit," Brad agreed.

Another accessory that goes great with swim meets are ear plugs. Goodness gracious, it's loud (and echo-y) in there! "Alea?" I asked on the way home, "Does it help you when everyone is yelling Go! and Swim! at you?" She thought for a moment, "We-ll," she answered, trying to be diplomatic, "it doesn't help me personally but I'm sure others might
find it helpful." "What about when people make that penguin flipper motion with their hands...do you even SEE that?" She laughed. "No." Now I was excited. "Maybe we could suggest that swim meets could model spectator behavior after golf," I suggested to my niece, "With whispering accompanied by light, polite clapping." She promised she'd get right on that for me.

We met her siblings for pizza. "Did you order breadsticks," my nephew asked by way of greeting. "It's good to see you too," I grinned, hugging him. Having enjoyed high and tight haircuts during his stint in the Army, Brad could no longer resist. "Can I rub your head," he asked Alexis. I glared at him, having concentrated on making stellar eye contact with the girls the entire time so they wouldn't have to say, "Eyes down here, Aunt Amy." Alexis grinned. "Sure, it feels nice." She bent her head while her uncle rubbed her skull as though a genie were going to pop out of it. "Try it," Brad encouraged. Both girls welcomed my hesitant touch as I reached out to encounter the soft, fuzzy hair that now crowned their heads. It did feel nice. Soon, I was trying to get that genie to appear as enthusiastically as Brad. I wasn't disappointed when he didn't show up though, because I couldn't possibly wish for better nieces and nephews than the ones I've been blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment