Did it begin yesterday when my work colleagues discovered that Brad and I had added another canine companion to our family and provided me with ALL the emotions that feed my soul: Outrage, indignation, delight, and demands to meet Charlie? I immediately invited them to come to my house after work today to meet her which then spurred my usual frantic inventory of my messy little house which led to my meticulous dusting of my Dad's decorative stein and the straightening of my two adopt-a-puffin stuffies which adorn my dry pantry. I made an angel food cake (from a box mix...remember, it's me, y'all) and worried that I didn't have enough drink selections in the fridge. I lay awake at 2 am and wondered if I'd have time to scrub out and clean the boot trays before I left for work.
Did it begin early this morning during a meditative walk around my field following a rare but definitely Jesus-led call-to-Scripture where I read and was convicted by 1 John 2:6 "Whoever (Amy) says (s)he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked."? I mentally brought my family with me on this short journey, praying for them and my dear colleagues with whom I would be meeting with shortly. I snapped pictures along the way, making a collage to share with everyone. I know...completely obnoxious. I should have been scrubbing boot trays.Did it begin when I picked up Katriel for our long work commute where I passionately vowed that today...TODAY...I would curb my obnoxiousness. I would tone down my aggressive tendencies and impulsivity. I would think before speaking or acting...
Or did it begin as we pulled into the school parking lot two minutes later and I spotted Spencer's vehicle parked oddly...in the front, stretched across three parking spots. I didn't even hesitate to mess with him. Except it wasn't Spencer. It was his husband, Stephen, with whom I have had very minimal interaction (thus far). "Don't do it," Katriel warned and then immediately began slinking down in her seat because, oh yes, I was doing it. I positioned my truck perpendicular to Stephen who, disappointingly, didn't even look over at me. He just backed up. Oh no, this would NOT do. I turned Titan to face Stephen but he then just maneuvered his car AROUND me to begin exiting the parking lot. No-no! I was now in hot pursuit...lights flashing, horn sounding, Katriel in a ball on Titan's floor. FINALLY, contact was made with the happy end result which would be Stephan completing his errands in town before returning to the school with my medium Dunkalatte order.
Or maybe it began when I hijacked a hallway display case?
Did it begin when I was driving to my house with Katriel, my team (and poor Stephen) in tow, having an internal anxiety attack of epic proportions that Charlie, so very new to us and demonstrating her own internal anxiety attacks by stress-pooing when left alone, might have decorated my bathroom in doggie diarrhea? Well, at least no one would notice my dirty boot trays then. And, thank you Lord, that my anxiety does not present in the form of stress-pooing.Did it begin when I, in high-speed monologue, provided the most convoluted house tour known to mankind? "This is the dining room...where we dine," I gestured grandly while my husband sighed. I pointed out, in detail, all of the deficits of my internet-purchased convertible love seat (which my guests insisted on sitting upon before declaring it "comfy," bless their hearts). Drink distribution was a disaster. I should have put the choices on a lovely silver tray for ease of selection. Stephen, intent on never being invited back, performed a nifty 180 to get me back for the parking lot pandemonium, traded his Shanty for a Modelo at the last second. Spencer created a crisis by insisting on tap water.
Did it begin when I decided to pray over the box mix Angel food cake, my husband looking at me like I was touched. Yeah. By the spirit of the LORD.
Was it when we decided to further torture Stephen by forcing him to play a complicated game he'd never heard of? (I am worried that I may never see Stephen again after this day.)
Was it when I concluded the visit with a Meadow Walk? Brad was certain, at this point, that I was out of my gourd.
I pointed out the key features of the walk including the dangerous but magnetically-compelling Pine ConeHole, stuffed to the brim with 32 pine cones but still ready to snap an unsuspecting ankle. Allison was my shining star on this journey, exclaiming with interest and excitement about the deer-nibbled milkweed and was just in awe about a weed pod that I thought resembled a miniature purple pineapple. "Will there be berries?" she wondered, moved by the utter magic of our Meadow Walk. Even Brad was caught up in the spell. "Did you show them the patch of horseradish?" he asked, as Allison raced back for a peek. Spencer gained some points, raving about the blueberries. Katriel complimented the Morning Glories. Stephen...let's just say he'll need a Meadow Walk re-do. As my brain fumbled for the word for the critter I see every day in my pond, I mistakenly said "Musk Ox" until Allison gently provided the word "muskrat." "You' d have a whole other situation if it were a Musk Ox," Stephen cracked, ruining the tone of the Meadow Walk COMPLETELY (I'm kidding Stephen, you were such a good sport).
It probably began when the Lord gifted me with a husband and friends who see ME...not my house. Who hear ME...not my nonsensical ramblings...who know ME...and that I want to walk in the same way as Jesus walks but they (God, my husband, my friends) know that I am going to be magnetically drawn, again and again, to Pine Cone Hole, and stumble...again and again and again. They know this and continue to walk with me anyway.




No comments:
Post a Comment