Monday, April 29, 2013

Soup and soda

This will be my last reference to the 2013 New York State tests.  As I've mentioned before, for the necessity of the children and myself, I have had to employ some pretty creative means to survive two weeks of testing without being completely traumatized.  When some of my rather well-informed cherubs excitedly came to class one morning to tell me that they don't have to take the New York State tests, I downshifted quickly and pleasantly commiserated,  "Well...of course you don't have to take the tests, my darlings, but I would feel so sad if you missed our celebratory hot dog soup and Pepsi party that we're having on the final day."   That rather oddly-shaped carrot was all that was necessary to make the mule move.

If aroma-therapy studies hold any water, my class test scores would have shot through the ceiling as the soup simmered gently in the crock pot, waiting to "reward" hard-working students.  I know what some of you are thinking...the same thing Brad has thought through his 24 years of marriage.  For some, hot dog soup is a rewarding experience.  For others, it simply induces retching.  Fortunately, 6th graders still think stickers, pillow pets and fruit gummies shaped like cartoon characters are cool so hot dog soup was an easy sell.

My normally blissful kid-free lunch time arrived and my classroom was filled with children clamoring to sample my cooking.  This is also an unusual occurrence as past Courier articles can attest.  As we settled in with our soup and soda, I faced a dilemma.  Do I spend my brief 25 minutes having heartfelt conversations with 11-year-olds or do I distract them with entertaining Youtube videos?  It was a tough decision.  As luck would have it, I hold an educational minor in the area of "Big Bang" analysis so I quickly brought up kid-friendly song-filled segments.  To my delight, my kids showed tremendous aptitude and, before I knew it, we were singing Sheldon's sick song, "Soft Kitty."  I divided up the room and we then began singing "Soft kitty...warm kitty...little ball of fur...happy kitty, sleepy kitty...purr purr purr..." in rounds.  It was the best lunch EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment