Monday, July 9, 2018

Sydney and I are a couple of cellular "squares"


Budget-conscious (as well as being scared of technology, change, and customer service representatives), Sydney Lynn and I have semi-reluctantly clung to our antiquated cell phones despite constant public humiliation ("Mrs. Mosiman," my 4th graders will squeal with delight, "My grandma used to have a phone like yours!"). Sydney is often asked to look something up on her phone at work whenever her colleagues are bored. Which is apparently A LOT. I'm surprised they haven't branded her with a scarlet letter. "N" comes to mind (This is called foreshadowing, friends.).

If we could actually look stuff up, Sydney and I would have learned how to fix the letter "N" on her keyboard or I would discover why in-coming punctuation blows up my phone. Sydney can only communicate via speaker phone which has us talking in subtle code. "Is SHE there???" "Uh...yeah..." Uncomfortable silence. Sliding my keyboard back into place automatically shuts off my phone, happily saving on the battery that gets sucked dry within the hour. Unhappily causing stress to my family because they couldn't get a hold of me all day because I didn't know my phone had taken the liberty of shutting itself off for me. It's a regular little Knight Rider. Both Sydney and I would LOVE to understand what's happening in a group text and we've never actually seen an emoji that isn't shaped like a square or rectangle. But other than that, we're quite satisfied with our communication devices.

But it was time. Sydney was armed with her sister's old phone from when Savannah was sixteen while I wielded a carefully-researched refurbished device as we began our quest to join the 21 Century. We would travel many miles. Face countless obstacles. Experience the worst and best that humanity had to offer. And we would become better for our journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment