Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Pursuit of the Pomegranate: An epic mini-series describing our quest to buy a cellular device

When last I left you, I was laying the foundation of an epic adventure...fraught with peril...as Sydney and I began the journey to acquire (echoing drum roll) new cellular devices!!!

Little did we know, when first we set out...how far we would travel...to what lengths we would go...the laughter...the tears...

Naturally, we started out at our beloved hometown Horizon store. We love it because they take our technological idiocy with a grain of salt AND they have a cute parking lot kitty. Unfortunately, on this particular day, they were understaffed and VERY busy. I waited patiently until I heard the staffer compliment his guests on being a "Pomegranate" family. How dare he! This was an outrage! Shouldn't ALL cellular devices be viewed as equals before man and God? "C'mon! We're leaving," I told Sydney as we stormed out, pausing to pet the parking lot kitty on our way to the truck. "I just don't think you should be treated differently simply because you have a Pomegranate," I explained to Sydney when she asked what was wrong. "Not all of us are at a place in our lives where we can have a Pomegranate." Sydney frowned. "But Mom," she said, waving at the cellular device between us, "The re-furbished phone you ordered is a Pomegranate 4000." Oh.

Well...too late now. We shook the dust off our sandals and headed to the next town. Where we met Spencer. Who was dazzled by our sparkling personalities. "Sydney," I whispered as she leaned over the counter, "adjust your shirt." Everything now discreetly in place, we explained to Spencer what we wanted. "The Pomegranate 4000 is a fine model," Spencer said to me while smiling at Sydney. "I have a Golden Retriever and two cats," he told her while inserting a sim card. I looked away to give them some privacy. He frowned when she handed him her phone. "This only has 8 mega-whoosits of ram memory nuclear power capability with internal drive centrifuge." We gasped. Say it isn't so, Spencer! We apologized profusely. But, fear not, fellow travelers! Spencer was a technological magician who could spin 8 mega-whoosits into 64 if we could come up with the Pomegranate password. How hard could that be?

"I'm in the middle of the desert," Savannah growled, "and you think I know the password to a phone I used almost a decade ago?" "I sincerely doubt she's in the middle of the desert. I'm betting it's just the outskirts," I whispered to Sydney who held her hand over...what?!? What exactly do you hold your hand over with a cell phone? Sigh. I miss a telephone receiver. "You're not helping, Mom," she hissed. Sweet-talking her prickly sister in a desert wasn't working so Spencer reluctantly sent us on our way with one working Pomegranate 4000 and the hope that we could unlock a password BEFORE Sydney's replacement phone that Spencer ordered for her arrived in the mail. Yes, we still had hope.

But not for long...

No comments:

Post a Comment