Friday, February 7, 2014

Birthday cupcakes: Why I became a teacher

Jonelle's Gourmet Birthday Cupcakes for Mrs. Mosiman
It has been said that some go into the teaching profession for the summers off. Others claim that they want to make a positive impact on the world through the educational enlightenment of children. Well...I won't be shy about it. I became a teacher for the inexhaustible supply of snacks.



My friend and fellow teacher, Nancy, impressed me most with two aspects of teaching that I will never forget. One:  I watched this 30-year veteran teacher put everything into observation lessons. On a daily basis, Nancy would develop creative ways to reach kids in order to sink sometimes baffling mathematical concepts into their heads but, for observation lessons, she would pull out all the stops. That a teacher with that much seniority, draped in the practically-impenetrable cloak of invisibility that is the New York tenure system, still cared so much what an observer to her classroom thought about her lesson was very impactful for me as I began my own journey as an educator.  Because of Nancy, I never phone in a lesson.

Two: Nancy shared her belief that it was important for teachers to share their birthdays with children as it gives students, who occasionally tend to be a bit myopic, a chance to focus on someone other than themselves. That made sense to me so, every year, as we become acquainted with our agendas during the first week, we turn to January 30th and write:  Mrs. Mosiman's birthday. They know how old I am and have been trained to look shocked each time it's mentioned. "Really?!?" someone will gasp, "You look SO much younger!" They have 20 weeks to learn my simple interests and on my birthday, the gifts and homemade cards come pouring in. I pulled a 20 ounce Pepsi from a colorful gift bag and squealed, "It's the perfect size!" A student walked in with a large container of cookies and I frowned at him. "Nik," I admitted, "You know I love cookies but, honey, I'm not sure I can eat that many." Glancing around to make sure no one was near by, he gently corrected me, "Uh, Mrs. Mosiman? I think my mom sent these for you to share with the class too." Oh-hh!

This year, the count-down was for reading class because it was rumored that my student, Jonelle, had brought in birthday cupcakes. Now, I was already FULLY aware of the wonder that is a cupcake created by Jonelle and her family as I had the privilege of spending last summer with Jonelle and her sister at school. They had shared a cupcake with me that defied description...kind of like a banana split sundae with a kick. Too pretty to eat (I managed), these cupcakes should have been featured on the cover of Bon Appetit magazine. To think that a cupcake such as this had been designed with my birthday in mind was exhilarating. Did you look at the picture? Don't look at it...it doesn't do it justice. Moist chocolate cake with creamy mint frosting topped with a jumbo marshmallow cookie dipped in chocolate with an artistic smattering of sprinkles. Mere words do not suffice the poetry of this wondrous cupcake. What my friend Nancy knew (but didn't tell me because she knew that I would eventually experience it for myself) was how humbling and gratifying it is to be the object of celebration as delivered by the honest and unbridled enthusiasm of children. I may have gotten into the profession of teaching for the snacks...but I'm staying for the kids. They're incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment