Monday, January 5, 2015

Why Than Mehlenbacher won't ever work for Hallmark

Especially in this age of quick communication and milli-second "send"-sibility ruled by email, text and social media, who am I to criticize the humble but incredibly precious Christmas card greeting? Whenever anything other than a petition for cash enters my mailbox, I have reason to celebrate. Cards sent via the postal route are growing more rare making them all the more wonderful. So, what's the problem then, you wonder? Well...it is my assertion that when a self-declared Christmas newsletter is comprised of a more than 60% amount of foisted educational information, it is completely invalidated. Please refer to the following example, penned by my friend, Than, who apparently harbors a secret desire to write for Wikipedia:

Limes mean line or border. Germany was never put under the rule of the Holy Roman Empire. After the Romans suffered defeat around 9 AD, the Romans built a wall clear across southern Germany and north along the border between France and Germany. They manned this border for a couple of hundred years at a tremendous cost (to Amy Mosiman's attention span).  

As you can imagine, I am now terrified to venture out to my mailbox as I am anticipating a follow-up quiz! Nothing says "Merry Christmas" more than a mailbox info-mercial!

No comments:

Post a Comment