Monday, June 29, 2015

The last day of school: 2015

 June is a metaphorical roller-coaster. The slow clickity-clacking of those small metal wheels signals the start of an agonizing ascent on June 1st. Each day speeds by, faster and faster until, suddenly, we've arrived at that dizzying crest--where our entire year flashes in front of us and we cry out, "No! No! We're not ready!" But the laws of physics and gravity are in play and all we can do now is hold on and enjoy the last bit of this 4th grade ride together.

The last day is always bitter-sweet. Gifts, given from the heart, help soften the blow of separation. I worried that my table might not be able to bear the burden of so much love as flowers and photographs, cups and candy came into Room 24 with smiles and hugs and homemade cards. "I don't want to go," I hear, over and over, and I lie to them, blinking back tears. "Well, I can't wait for you to go!" I herd them out to waiting parents and buses, waving good-bye to my sweet 4th graders. They can't hear me, thank goodness, as I cry out, one more time, "No! No! I'm not ready!"

No comments:

Post a Comment