Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sailfest Fun 2016


Not surprisingly, my self-diagnosed attention deficit issues really ramp up when I'm either (a) tired or (b) excited. Oh boy. Because we were in Connecticut visiting our daughter Savannah, I was really excited. And because we were in Connecticut visiting our daughter Savannah and she tends to schedule grueling eighteen mile sightseeing hikes, I was also extremely tired. Let's throw a firework extravaganza on top of that, as well and stand back.

The day started at New London's Sailfest. My family first became aware that I was becoming a tad too stimulated when my neck could no longer withstand the weight of my many head revolutions as I tried to take in the impressive k-turn of a giant ferry boat, the lifting of the many-masted Mystic Whaler as it began the day, the rumble of the commuter train behind us, and, the cherry on top, an over-head drone buzzing overhead. "Let's go get you a snack," my husband said, not realizing he was trading one problem for another.

On our way to the oven-fresh cinnamon rolls slathered with frosting, I was sidetracked by "Simply Cannoli." When it comes to cannolis, I am a traditionalist at heart but the "Simply Cannoli" menu was enticing. Filling flavors, topping varieties, dipping garnishes...I was immediately transfixed and rendered incapable of making a decision. Our capable hostess gently led me through the process and I ended up with two traditional cannolis (ends dipped in mini-chocolate chips and dusted with powdered sugar), an apple-walnut filled cannoli drizzled with caramel, and a Mounds cannoli dipped in grated coconut. "So much for the cinnamon roll," Savannah shrugged as we waved good-bye to the "Simply Cannoli" lady. "What cinnamon roll," I muttered, my mouth full of delicious cannoli.

After Sailfest, Savannah took us to the Niantic Boardwalk. Sandwiched between the Long Island Sound and a fenced expanse of train tracks, the boardwalk boasts vistas both big and small. One might be riveted by rolling waves, rocks or the railroad. I wasn't even out of the parking lot before I squealed with excitement, spotting a crab shell, just out of reach beyond the fence. "How do you think it got there," I wondered as Brad fought to keep his eyes from rolling before suggesting a bird
as a possible means of transport. Apparently, I've been watching too many crustacean cartoons. The idea of a crab trying to reach the train to begin a cross-country journey didn't seem that far-fetched. But now I was hooked. My discerning eye roved the rock piles, spotting shells of all shapes and sizes. And even more. "Look! A sock," I shouted drawing Brad and Savannah's attention from the boring beach. And then the train came! I leaped up on the bench for a better look. Brad jumped up after me to make sure I didn't topple off.  Savannah pretended that she didn't know us.

We got to the end of the boardwalk. "Wait, I've got to walk a mile back," I asked, feeling betrayed into unnecessary exercise. "How about some ice cream first," Brad suggested. Sold. One look at the ice cream flavor selection menu at "Gumdrops and Lollipops" and I knew enough to immediately walk away and let Brad deal with that. I am one of the rare people on the planet where too many choices are a bad thing.

One mile and a four hour nap later, I was ready for fireworks. I had been bragging about the Sailfest fireworks show for a full year, finally convincing Brad to take a day off from work so that we could go. As we sat waiting for the show to begin, I was plagued with self-doubt. "I may have exaggerated this a bit," I whispered. "You?" my husband said, shocked, "Never." According to him, the trip had already paid for itself in entertainment value as he and Savannah had enjoyed watching me scale the Fort Grisewood Battlefield hill to gain access to a sentinel of porta-potties. "You were like a little billy-goat," Brad said with admiration, "even when you got lost." "Thanks," I said grimly.

The fireworks were incredible. Folks on both sides of the Sound would tell you that. "I can't believe they're able to make letters out of fireworks," Savannah marveled. "I know," I agreed, "I didn't even mind that the "S" in "USA" was backwards sometimes." I caught Brad and Savannah glancing at each other, rolling their eyes. "Dawn's early light decided to illuminate my dim bulb of a brain, "Oh...are you saying that was so BOTH sides could see?" Forwards, backwards or upside down...it was quite the star-spangled day.




No comments:

Post a Comment