Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Lasting impressions: Who needs pictures?

The Mosimans have two speeds:  Sit-on-the-couch speed or Give-up-all-thoughts-of-sleeping-for-three-days speed. On Speed Two, driving three hours to a ball game, spending three hours watching a ball game, and driving three hours BACK from a ball game ON A SCHOOL NIGHT doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

C-R-A-C-K! The foul ball arched my way and I flung my arms skyward to receive this celestial sphere from the heavens until I lost it in the lights whereupon I took immediate cover. My friend Joan never even flinched in the seat next to me, wordlessly watching it sail safely past us. To help me get over the trauma, she took me to get a hot dog. "They could use these to pole vault with," I remarked, impressed, as we mistakenly slathered the foot-long dogs with barbecue sauce instead of ketchup.

Joan was surprised with my vast baseball knowledge. "Our first baseman is super-stretchy," I told her, "and he wiggles his hips slightly when he's up to bat. And our catcher is really tall but can make himself really small. Plus he has the best smile" "You should be a sports commentator," Joan said. I smiled modestly.

I glanced back sporadically at the rest of my family, located four rows behind us. "What are you doing," Joan asked. "I know that they're going to want to take a picture of us," I informed her, "so we'll want to be ready." On the way home, I asked to see Savannah's phone. "What for," she asked. "To see the picture you took of Joan and me," I answered, realizing by the veil of silence that covered the car that I was soon in for a BIG disappointment. "That's a nice picture of you and your sister," I told her coldly. "It wasn't enough that you and Sydney were on the High-Five Cam at the ballpark...I'm glad you also have this nice photograph to commemorate our memorable evening together." Brad pointed at my Kansas City shirt. "What is that?" he asked, "Barbecue sauce? See? You have a lasting memory of tonight's game too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment