Friday, July 25, 2014

What did you REALLY mean by that?

Sometimes your closest friends can also be your greatest enemies (case-in-point: my blog about my friend Sarah's television viewing habits). My friend and fellow teacher, Geri has a biting sense of humor of which I am often a primary target. Today, I wandered in on the conclusion of her whole-group math lesson. "Now remember what Mrs. Mosiman taught you yesterday," she said. I stiffened in my seat, shocked that she would ridicule me this way in front of the children. "What are you talking about," she replied later, defensive as I confronted her about her unprofessional conduct. "I can't believe that you would say that about me," I choked, holding back indignant tears. "What? What did I say," she asked, as if she didn't know. I scowled at her before repeating her hateful words. "You said, 'Remember what Mrs. Mosiman (insert air quotes) taught you yesterday,'" I shouted. Geri looked down and didn't say anything for a long minute as she considered her thoughtless and hurtful behavior. "You're right," she said finally, "I should never have inferred that you had imparted meaningful knowledge to the children in the process of educating them. Please forgive me." I smiled, relieved that she had seen the error of her ways. "Wait," I said, stopping her as she went to leave the room. "Did you mean 'Please forgive me'" or 'Please (insert air quotes) forgive me?'" Geri sighed, closing the door behind her. What did THAT mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment