Tuesday, June 11, 2013

On the web at the library

I was avoiding human interaction today, hiding in the library when an associate called me over for a consult.  She was staring off into space, carefully collecting her thoughts so I waited patiently for her to address me.  After a few moments of companionable silence, she finally said, "Well?"  "Well...what?" I responded somewhat testy about being interrupted from my important work of hiding from 6th grade students.  "Isn't it remarkable," Laurie asked, gesturing grandly. A big fan of oxygen for as far back as I can remember, I agreed, eager to return to my low-profile, under-trafficked position in the corner of the library.  "Don't you see it," she said prompting me to take a closer look.  Oh!  A tiny brown spider dangled delicately at eye level from a single invisible thread.  Tipping our heads back in wonder, we followed the course of its silken trail up to the high vaulted ceiling some twenty-five feet or so above us.  It was a solemn moment as we considered the complexities of the universe.  It was the kind of moment that would lead one to consider the presence of an ultimate creator, a grand designer.  I wasn't surprised when my colleague knelt down in humble supplication.  I was shocked when she stood, armed with a shoe and went to lunge at our friendly little spider.  I threw myself bodily between them.  "Laurie! What are you doing," I shrieked, breaking the second of the cardinal rules of the library.  The first rule is to refrain from using the library as a clandestine hangout for absentee educators.  "I'm killing the spider," she explained as though this was the most common of occurrences.  "Can't we just take him outside," I pleaded as the tiny arachnid's life literally hung in the balance while Laurie weighed this idea.  After she replaced her shoe, I grabbed a sheet of paper and brought it up beneath his furry little legs before he could reach the end of the line. Laurie and I sprang into synchronized action.  She raced to the door, allowing me open access while I heebie-jeebied my way across the room, emitting courageous little sounds, "uh....uh....uh...eeiiiii!" as I sent him spiraling through the air into the great outdoors.  The excitement of our inter-library catch-and-release program concluded, I returned to my alcove and momentarily watched the students at the nearby computer stations ironically researching on the world wide web.  I made the obvious connections between the solitary nature of a spider and my own need to briefly withdraw from the constant buzz of conversation, the drone of incessant chitter-chatter, the hum of the humdrum.  Sure, people bug me now and again but generally speaking, I rarely feel the need to squash them with my shoe.  I'm not adamantly opposed to flinging a person or two out the door once in awhile though.  And yes, I recall the lesson from the country song.  "Sometimes I'm the windshield.  Sometimes I'm the bug."  Sometimes I'm the small brown spider.  Sometimes I'm the lady with the paper.  Sometimes I'm a crazed lunatic wielding a shoe.  Put down the shoe, people!  Set that spider free!

3 comments:

  1. Good Grief! No wonder no one has made a comment. Little Miss Goody To Shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't "two" shoes, Cath, just one. Why can't you support my actions in saving an innocent life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eww...spiders should be killed. Sorry Amy, I am not a fan of arachnids.

    ReplyDelete