Saturday, July 11, 2015

A mystic Connection

"Where should we go to dinner," Savannah asked, flopping down on her super-heavy, nearly-impossible-to lug-up-to-the-third-floor couch. The only way that couch is leaving her apartment, by the way, is over the railing of her balcony...in a million pieces. I glanced at her in exasperation. "I don't know about you, but I've been working all day," I informed her, "I'm tired." But, good sport that I am, I did some quick research and came up with some possibilities.

My first choice fulfilled my criteria of (a) on-the-water, (b) outdoor seating and (c) lobster bisque. As we buzzed off in Savannah's little car, I felt compelled to confess. "I should probably tell you that reviews of this place are mixed." Savannah sighed but didn't seem all that surprised. We drove along Groton Long Point with my nose squashed up against the window. "Why don't you live here," I exclaimed, staring at the gorgeous houses overlooking the water. We pulled up to my first restaurant choice. CLOSED. Under construction. Savannah sighed but didn't seem all that surprised.

"Well," I said brightly, "our second choice has been rated as Connecticut's Hidden Gem. We drove to Mystic with my nose squashed up against the window. "Why don't you live here," I exclaimed, staring at the gorgeous houses overlooking the water. After parking, we looked for this very well-hidden gem of Connecticut. "Olly-olly-oxen-free," I yelled, giving up. Savannah whipped out her Smartphone and sighed. "It's out-of-business," she told me, not at all surprised.

So we ate at a lovely restaurant not on my list. I excitedly ordered an amped-up root-beer concoction.
The waiter came back a moment later to break the bad news. "What," I exclaimed, completely shocked, "How does one run out of amped-up root-beer?" So this third choice (a) was no where near the water, (b) seated me in the back with a distant view of a window, and (c) didn't have lobster bisque (or amped-up root beer). "How do you like your tuna," I asked Savannah. She smiled at me and answered, "Surprisingly good."

No comments:

Post a Comment