Monday, September 14, 2015

Is "Geri" short for "jealousy?"

It was that time of year again. Time to volunteer for the annual Glen Iris 5K. It is always scheduled following the first week of school and the minute my alarm goes off on Saturday, I wonder what magical pull Gregg Dobbin has, to convince me to do this year-after-year. Especially when I hear the steady patter of rain beating against my windows. My husband intervened as I attempted to exit the house with only a windbreaker. He spent ten minutes wrestling me into a full-body rain suit before I realized that I needed to use the restroom.

This was my first year volunteering without Savannah so the weather matched my mood. But I knew I could count on my friend, Geri to brightened my spirits with our annual trip to the store to buy pre-race chocolate milk and a doughnut. "Ready to stop at Carney's," I asked after she hopped in the truck. "Nah...I'm good," she said, crushing what remained of my hopes and dreams.

This year, I was given the auspicious title of "Event Greeter." I dutifully welcomed each person as they approached the pavilion. Obviously eaten up with jealousy, Geri attempted to undermine my authority at every turn. "Don't listen to her," she'd hiss at frightened guests. "Amy...you don't have to welcome EVERY single person," she'd say bossily, obviously not having read the duty manual that accompanied such an importantly crucial position as mine. I thought she was going to throw a full-blown temper tantrum when I was unexpectedly handed the portable amplifier. "Don't give her a microphone," she yelled at her husband, Gregg, "There'll be no shutting her up now!"

Despite Geri, we made it successfully to the finish line (to watch everyone else cross) before grabbing our well-deserved Glen Iris Inn lunch to head back to Geri's house accompanied by fellow volunteers, Tommy and Momar. We peppered our lunch with a lively debate over whether one is being polite by not offering constructive comment on a loved one's cooking  (Amy's viewpoint) or if one is considered rude by sharing said constructive comment (Geri's viewpoint). For example: Would it benefit the Glen Iris 5K to tell them that their web-posted information had a small, barely noticeable typo (that made me about bust a gut laughing) OR would it be better to withhold comment as the event is over?
Information
  • Certified NY12115KL
  • T-shits to first 300 entrants
Momar added a little spice to the conversation by demonstrating the rugged durability of his sensible phone by dropping it purposely to the floor. Attacked by sneezes, Tommy used his naval cavity as a paper towel holder which really contributed to the digestibility of my meal.

It was time to play cards. "What are we playing?" I asked. Geri looked at me strangely, "Euchre (duh)." "But we can't play with five peop..." I answered before stopping in horror, staring at Momar who immediately realized that the ghost of Savannah had arrived. Savannah and Momar were famous for an epic game of euchre where they were being severely trounced 8-2 before miraculously (Think U.S. hockey team) making the come-back of the century. And suddenly, we were there again. Geri and I were trouncing Momar and Tommy (8-2) when Momar began shouting to Tommy to get Savannah on Facetime (because Momar's ruggedly sensible phone isn't equipped to handle Facetime) so she could direct him on how to play his cards. Unfortunately, Savannah couldn't be reached and the USSR was victorious. I drove home...another success Glen Iris 5K behind me.






No comments:

Post a Comment