Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Longhouse Twinkie Project: Epic Fail

As usual, implementation of my big vision was (not) a rousing success. I spent the bulk of my summer mentally planning my back-to-school bulletin board and then frantically slapped it together seconds before students entered the classroom in September.

Concerned that he couldn't hear the normal decibels of obnoxious noises emanating from my room, my custodian friend Joe peeked in to find me crushed beneath the weight of my refusing-to-stay-unrolled background paper. Together, we wrestled it into place before Joe managed to escape. The next person silly enough to see what I was up to was fellow educator, Linda, in search of a pencil. Encased in a web of hot glue string, I negotiated a pencil for popsicle stick exchange. Linda would receive a pencil after lifting my construction paper/popsicle stick longhouse onto the bulletin board. Think Amish barn-raising. Linda left when I broke out the glitter for my simulated smoke.

Phase two of my big vision was to include student work. We researched descriptions of longhouses and took notes on the reverse sides of their foldable paper models before the frustrating cut-and-paste process began. The end result was a longhouse Twinkie. As a final touch, each student taped a picture of him/herself standing proudly in the doorway, "welcoming" visitors to his/her snack cake shelter. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment