Friday, July 12, 2013

Frankly my dear, multiplication facts are for fuddy-duddies

7s facts fingernails
I don't know what happened. Yesterday, I was the greatest teacher on the planet, singularly responsible for successfully embedding the multiplication-by-6 facts into my students' heads through a careful regimen of specially chosen computer games (Google: multiplication of 6 facts games), daily timed drills accompanied by low-decibel shouting, verbal skip-counting and kinesthetic activities. Today, like a high-powered magnet rubbed across a credit card, the 6 facts had been eradicated from their memory banks. I was, without a doubt, the worst teacher on the planet. What was I doing wrong? I had highly motivated students, eager to participate in the lessons, clearly on board to learn and I had somehow failed them. The disintegration of automaticity when it comes to multiplication recall is often cited as the single most factor contributing to the break-down of today's society (the lack of implemented cursive writing comes in at a close second). You've heard the old codgers say it all before (insert shaky, grizzled voice here) , "Why in my day, kids could count back change, recite the Gettysburg Address backwards, and diagram sentences blindfolded. Now, EVERYBODY gets a trophy and NOBODY knows how to change a flat tire. The only thing these whippersnappers need to be able to spell these days is AAA."  Well, I wasn't about to schedule a tire-changing lesson for my 4th graders (although we did spend an entertaining twenty minutes watching the Safelite Autoglass guy switch out a windshield in the school parking lot yesterday), I refused to give up on our multiplication facts. "Back to the drawing board," I bellowed, "we're going to keep practicing! Learning numbers is a snap!" I snapped my fingers and inspiration struck. I dug through Sydney's vast repertoire of nail polish colors, grabbed the brightest one and quickly applied a base-coat to every fingernail in the room. Once dry, I carefully drew a 7s fact on each finger. We reviewed 6s and then began our 7s regimen. 7 x 3 was frustratingly evasive. I tried a biblical tactic. We marched around the perimeter of the school, chanting 7 x 3 is 21 at the top of our voices until we nailed it! (Is it necessary to point out my little pun or did you catch it on your own?) I hope the fingernail thing works because the next step is a field trip to the closest tattoo parlor. Allow me to paraphrase Lincoln's famous speech to suit the occasion: "As God as my witness, we will master our multiplication facts!"

1 comment: