Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Sorting Hat is wrong!

Have you ever encountered the somewhat unsettling experience of hearing your own voice recording played back? "I don't sound like that," you might have protested, certain that the dulcet tones emanating from your vocal cords were of Shakespeare-spouting quality. Instead, you discover that you should be auditioning for "Spongebob Squarepants."

And while this verbal awakening may seem like a nightmare, it's nothing when compared to character enlightenment. To my core, I am Gryffindor. Heroic, noble, courageous, sacrificial. While for some of you, the Hogwarts Express may have left King's Cross Station a long time ago, the magical world of "Harry Potter" continues to cast its spell over the Mosiman family. Sydney recently stumbled over a "Sorting Hat" quiz on the computer (http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-sorting-hat-pottermore-test-all-questions). We were all enthusiastically on board the idea of determining our destinies. Combining her predilection for naughtiness with her wicked intellect, Savannah was quickly sorted into Slytherin. Beneath her bubbly exterior and positive spirit, Sydney, it turns out, is hiding a dark side under her cloak of invisibility and was shockingly slid into Slytherin with her sister. The head of the Mosiman house, our leader, our pater familias, Brad was a Gryffindor before the term was originally coined.

I'm not sure where I went wrong. I encountered some pretty challenging questions such as:

You enter an enchanted garden. What would you be most curious to examine first?
 
 
 
 

Wouldn't you have chosen the cute talking toadstools? C'mon...don't tell me that that is NOT adorable! (Oh.)

Four goblets are placed before you. Which would you choose to drink?
 
 
 
 
Which road tempts you most?
 
 
 
 

This is just a silly question. Of course a Gryffindor is going to traipse fearlessly down that dark alley. My first impulse is to go all "Road Not Taken" but I would also love the cobbled streets reminiscent of my time in Saint Augustine and Nantucket. It's time to face my inner demons and realize that I don't have any inner demons. While Brad's off wrestling against the powers of evil and Savannah and Sydney are busy hatching plots against humanity, I'm consumed with sampling every item on the snack trolley and eating the chocolate frogs before they escape out the window. Not everyone is destined to be the hero. Unsettling but true, I must learn to be happy as a Hufflepuff. At least it isn't as annoying as the sound of my squeaky little voice.

4 comments:

  1. You're hilarious. Don't let this send you spiraling into some deep identity crisis!

    Of course I had to try it out (thanks for the link!). I got Ravenclaw, but I don't really understand the rest of the results. There's so many graphs and lines!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your cool Ravenclaw status! Us happy Hufflepuffers only aspire to be as mysteriously fabulous as you.

      Delete
  2. I did it as well, and was sent to Ravenclaw. 43 percent for Griifendor, and 46 percent as Ravenclaw. So...I'm not evil, but not brave either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your results demonstrated that you're practically perfect...a sharp mind blended with a propensity for bad acting.

      Delete