Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dark Angle

Occasionally weary of her "Super-Christian" persona at school, Sydney decided that Halloween was a perfect opportunity to send the message that believers can also have a wicked sense of humor. The night before Halloween had Syd and I trekking into town to find the perfect costume and she spotted it, moments within walking in the door. While she admired the outfit and immediately began planning accessories, I was busy giggling at the packaging. "What?" Sydney said, frowning. "Can't you see it?" I responded, slightly horrified that the daughter of an ELA teacher and part-time newspaper reporter had missed such an obvious type-o. She took another look while I pointed at the title which was suppose to say: "Dark Angel" but instead proclaimed: "Dark Angle." Debuting the costume the following morning, I smiled as Sydney proudly demonstrated how the somewhat flimsy frock still met the regulations of the school dress code including finger-tip length skirt and two-fingers-wide shoulder straps. Even when dressing like a trollop, my daughter tries to stay within the boundaries of proper decorum and propriety. I prepared a quick, real-world editing session for my 4th graders on Halloween morning as I recounted Sydney's shopping experience which resulted in twenty-one 8-year-olds shouting, "Hello, Dark Angle!" when my daughter walked in at lunchtime. Without even trying, Sydney is forever teaching others a valuable lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment