Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I invented a word (and no...it's not dirty)

Over the course of my life, I've tried, unsuccessfully, to invent words. Turns out "huggle" (Mosiman translation: an endearing cross between a hug and a cuddle) and "fantabulous" were already somewhat, devastatingly, in play. But still, I persevered and yesterday, may have struck neologistic gold. Like all great discoveries (penicillin, gunpowder, low-fat yogurt), it was an accident. By blaming my youngest daughter, I inadvertently assign her the credit for this wonderful shift in our linguistic landscape so I'll just say that a severe shortage of clean brown socks was the inspiration for my new sock slang. After throwing a somewhat immature temper tantrum as I rummaged through my nearly empty sock drawer, I finally settled on a pair of brownish trouser socks. For those of you unfamiliar with this type of foot hosiery, trouser socks are a slickly flimsy garment designed better for dress shoes, not clogs. I became aware of trouble as I traversed the school parking lot, teetering like Bambi on the ice. I glared in response to Sydney's concerned look. "My slocks are slippery," I said accusingly and a word was born. I field-tested the word all day where it was warmly embraced. I must proceed carefully as I have been word-robbed before. Dramatically responding to moments of disappointment or avoidance, I would reach unreliably in the area of my mid-section and cry out, "Oh! My spleen!" Imagine my disgust when an insurance company used my go-to phrase when, after getting ready to "rumble," the representative fell to his knees, complaining that he broke his spleen. Sadly, I had neglected to copyright my move so I had no legal recourse. Paperwork protecting my new word is already in process. Soon, "slocks" will dominate all foot-related dialogue. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment