Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Feeling like an "outtie"-sider

I'm not looking for sympathy right now...ok, that's a total lie. I am desperately seeking sympathy right now.  My self-esteem took another blow to the head today and, to be honest, I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.  It started back in my early middle school years when I was sporting a cute little bikini at a friend's house when her father insensitively offered his unsolicited opinion that girls with "outie" belly-buttons shouldn't expose their midriffs. I was devastated...viewing my bulbous belly-button as a blemish and hiding it forever from public view.

Later, when I was in my twenties, I was asked at a group gathering to share what I thought was my best physical feature. Without even having to think about it, I said, "My slender, swan-like neck," and then stared in confusion as my friends responded by laughing hysterically. I remember feeling along the length of my neck to encounter, for the first time, the beginning of a flabby wattle. Here began my obsession with turtle-neck sweaters.

I entered my thirties cautiously. Who would have suspected that Christmas, the season of peace, would become the next setting for targeting my self-worth? Surrounded by friends and family, I stretched out my legs on the living room floor, crossing my ankles as we prepared to open presents. One party-goer, pausing to admire my form, took this moment to compliment me on my "peasant" ankles. What? I was confused. I had always prided myself on having dainty, gazelle ankles. Asking for clarification was a stupid move as the adjectives "thick" and "sturdy" were added. From this point on, I would publicly apologize if my ankles escaped from their sock holsters.

And today? My forty-three-year-old sensibilities had never once considered to ponder the beauty components of the human tongue. The armor of which I have had myself wrapped since I was twelve did not include a mouth guard. I was unprepared for my family's reaction when I stuck my tongue out. A comparison using "bologna" is never complimentary. It never occurred to me that a person could have an attractive tongue or an unattractive tongue. Obviously licking my lips is a thing of the past. Lollipops and popsicles are off the menu. How long have I been offending others with my thick-slab deli meat of a tongue?

My self-perception is seriously out-of-whack to the point of my being delusional. I want to be cute, I do but that just might not be in the cards for me. I'm terrified of turning fifty because the only think that I really have left are my adorable ear lobes. If you have anything to say about them, kindly wait for, at least, the next seven years.  Words are so powerful.  I wish I could go back in time to empower a twelve-year-old girl with the ability to flip off a sceevy adult male who shouldn't have been commenting on the body of a minor. That moment triggered a life-long hyper-sensitivity in woman who can find practically anything funny except for her thick, peasant ankles, flabby turkey neck and bologna tongue. Leave my ear lobes alone, people!

7 comments:

  1. Let's see, I was told I had chicken legs in my teens and now I have cankles. I did have an outie during both my pregnancies just before I gave birth, you know kinda like the turkey timer when it's done cooking. We are never perfect in our own eyes. But at least you appear to have great self esteem. Some of us aren't so lucky. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that I had a math teacher that told me I walked like a duck. My self-esteem is a fraud. We share the attribute of "cankles." Your "turkey timer" simile was holiday-appropriate! Thanks for commiserating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a history teacher tell me I was like a sumo wrestler and that was many pounds ago. I wish I was as thin as I used to be. Oh well. You're welcome. I would commiserate with you anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Is this based on that uncomfortable game: "You show me yours and I'll show you mine?"

      Delete
  5. I was told in Art class that I would never be an artist. We all have had things said to us that we didn't want to hear. Have a sticking out your tongue contest with your family and see who has the longest. Maybe you will be the winner! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family will NEVER have the privilege of seeing my tongue ever again! That'll teach them! The art world is an empty, meaningless void without your creative contribution. This is the reason that I only give positive, uplifting comments to those around me...I'm sure you noticed that characteristic about me.

      Delete