Tuesday, December 17, 2013

It takes more than a few flakes to make a snowman

My transition from middle school to elementary school teacher has been a little rough.  Elementary school teachers intimidate the living daylights out of me.  The rigor and challenges presented by Common Core do not faze elementary teachers. During the last Superintendent’s Day, I observed my colleagues diligently developing Core lesson plans and then, as soon as the work day was over, begin transforming their classrooms into holiday wonderlands. I stomped up and down the hallways, disgusted. Twinkly trees triggered my temper. Who were these happy people? What inspired them? I rechecked my contract to see if I was legally obligated to decorate my elementary classroom.

Later, my husband stared at me in some disgust as I described my dilemma to him. Fortunately, I was used to that expression. “When did you become the Grinch,” he asked. “You teach little kids,” he said, stating the obvious, “get on board the happy train.” Tormented by trees tagged with an expiration date of less than three weeks, I finally stumbled on a solution: an indoor snowman.  Brad moaned.

With some helpful internet instructions clutched in my hands, I was headed into the store when I bumped into my friend, Letchworth copy-ologist, Pam Gabauer. I excitedly showed Pam and her sister my plans to construct a snowman out of boxes. They stared at me in disgust. Fortunately, I was used to that expression. They immediately revised my plans, promising to provide me with appropriately-sized exercise balls before sending me into the store for the rest of my supplies.
The phone rang as I wandered hopelessly around the craft section. “Amy, are you at the batting yet?” I explained to Pam that I was in the craft section, not the sports section. After a long pause, Pam patiently defined “batting” as quilting fluff, aka indoor snowman-making stuff. Oh. She ground-guided me to the batting display and soon enough, I was victoriously headed out the automated double-doors.

The next day, while I was wrestling a Pepsi from the vending machine, Pam was busy wrestling three exercise balls out of her car and into the school. While I was trying to talk eight-year-olds into doing their math, Pam was trying to talk physical education teacher, Tim Eustace into inflating our snowman. While I was directing students to construct life cycle wheels, Pam was asking the director of maintenance and custodial services, Rocky Roberts, into constructing a wooden frame to support our frozen friend. While I was considering the legality of taping some mouths shut, Pam was getting Joe Sherman, also a part of the maintenance and custodial staff, to securely tape the snowman in place.

Pam arrived after school to watch me put the batting on. She complimented my effort and then removed it all so that she could put it on right. Turns out my strong suit was hot-gluing on the button eyes (Everyone has a gift).  A perfectionist, Pam kept breaking into my classroom to add finishing touches including “snow” around the base of our smirking snowman.


It was all worth it the next day when my students walked in to a magical holiday wonderland. Worth the headache. The lack of sleep. Worth the combined effort of the behind-the-scenes elves who selflessly work to bring happiness to children (or because they are afraid of Pam Gabauer).  It was worth everything just to see their little faces when they saw their snowman. Worth it when one cherub looked at me in disgust to say, “Why doesn’t it have any arms?” Fortunately, I was used to that expression.

published in "The Warsaw Country Courier," December 12, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment