Sunday, December 15, 2013

Snow Fight, Part 2

After another foot of snow had fallen, Brad braved the outdoors once again. Knowing that I was busy watching television, he quietly motioned for Savannah to move the vehicles out of his way. While I was rummaging through the refrigerator and briefly considering eating leftover frosting from the container, Savannah came storming in, "Mom, the car's stuck. Dad said we need you." My heart swelled with joy and I strode purposefully for my coat (after grabbing a quick spoonful of chocolate frosting) and headed out to address this critical problem. Naturally, I was assigned the driver's seat position. Brad was exhibiting his customary calm demeanor when faced with an immobile vehicle buried in the snow with its posterior end jutting out dangerously into the road aided by two enthusiastically helpful family members who can read and anticipate his every thought. The remaining family member, the smartest of us all, hid in the house until it was all over.

Brad had spent the bulk of his profanity allowance on Savannah before my arrival so I didn't get too caught up in his sense of urgency and impending doom. With Brad and Savannah doing the light work, I shifted into first gear and eased the Hyundai forward, gently touching the brakes while my husband and daughter scrambled to the front of the car, positioning their shoulders against the hood to prepare for my smooth reversal. "Show some finesse, would ya?" my husband yelled rudely as the snow refused to relinquish its hold on the little car. Indignant, I moved the car forward again, braking just short of a massive wall of ice. "What are you doing," Brad hollered without the proper level of appreciation regarding my sweet driving skills. "I'm finessing," I screamed. Savannah stopped briefly at my window on her way back to the front of the car to hiss, "You are NOT helping."

After extensive labor on my part (as usual), the car was successfully expelled from its snowy womb. And, as usual, the father was there on the sidelines, practically useless, yelling "Go...go...go! Don't stop now!" What would that man do without me?

No comments:

Post a Comment