Saturday, May 23, 2015

Destination travel: Washington DC (or...Why I'll Never Eat at a Wendy's Again)

And thus it was, that this small band of weary travelers made their way into the heart of our nation's capital...irrevocably altered...shaken but not shattered.

I knew that my focus had shifted from professional to personal when, during the school's emergency safety drill, I had...clutched in my hand-not the yellow list of carefully typed procedures--but a list of Washington's top ten restaurants. "I'm not sure how that will help us in time of crisis," a colleague observed wryly, "but you certainly succeeded in making me hungry."

The school day completed, I rushed home to find practically everyone in various stages of readiness. "AIS at 3:30," I bellowed, inappropriately borrowing from Robert De Niro in "Meet the Fockers."  When some eyebrows furrowed in confusion, Sydney clarified, "That's the Mosiman way of saying what time your hind-end should be in the seat." My nieces from Alaska, Morgan and Brianna, began laboriously hauling giant suitcases towards my van. "What are those," I asked incredulously, "We're only going to be gone three days." Pausing, Morgan patiently explained the necessary role of each piece of luggage, breaking them into the three categories of wardrobe, make-up and electronics. Not realizing that I was traveling with the likes of Hannah Montana, Kim Kardashian or a royal dignitary, I sighed and held the door for her while Savannah rushed forward to load her princess's bags.

(Sorry about the abrupt change of narrative--indicated by a different font--, but Savannah just asked me if she should stuff a clean sock into her ibuprofen bottle to reduce the noise. I helpfully suggested a wad of kleenex. She brightened and rushed off before settling on transferring her medicine to a baggie, leaving me to wonder about this unhealthy preoccupation with the rattling of pills.)

 Oops...time for my "free" continental breakfast...still shocked by my $35 a day valet parking. I think the Mosiman's should start offering valet parking on Hobday Road.


No comments:

Post a Comment