Friday, May 1, 2015

Sure, he might drop a few logs now and then...but Paul Bunyan would never do THAT


Naturally, a 4th grader is going to take something as pure and wonderful as Paul Bunyan and turn it into something wildly inappropriate. "One woman's inappropriate is another person's imaginative," my husband commented (without being asked, of course). Using the four characteristics of a tall tale:
T=tricky
A=adventure
L=larger-than-life
E=entertainingly exaggerated,
my reading group was asked to write a story about how Paul and his best pal, Babe the blue ox, might have created Letchworth Park. Most of the stories were sweet and wholesome but...well, there's always at least one in the crowd. Let's just say that the water rushing over the upper, middle and lower falls were the result of Paul's over-active bladder and a keen sense of competition with his cow. Thank goodness I edited the rough drafts before we read them out-loud to the class! "Not to get in a p!$$-ing contest with you," Brad said, "but you can't dispute that the kid really hit the target for read-ability." I will admit that the story had a certain flow but, as the responsible adult in this scenario, it was my job to cut my aspiring author off, mid-stream, so to speak. He was quite indignant when I broke the news that he would have to start over. "Shake it off there, buddy" I warned, "or urine big trouble."


No comments:

Post a Comment