Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"Paws-ing" to celebrate in Room 24

 Ahhh...the classroom Christmas party. A reverent silence descends over each desk as the students reflect upon their many blessings. Revelers walk sedately across the room like graceful swans to carefully throw away wrappers, ribbons, and bows. "How I value and appreciate this noisy holiday trinket purchased with loving care from the Dollar Store," one grateful child said, "I think I shall store it away in my backpack for later use so as not to interrupt the festivities." Other children immediately followed this fine example.

I awoke with a start from my Pepsi-induced coma. Four boys were doing the worm across the middle of the room while the rest of the class was engaged in a wrapping paper war. Decibel levels rose to dangerous heights as I dimmed the lights and attempted to distract my darlings with a calming movie:  Nester: The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey.

"Oh no," my family groaned, "That's the worst movie ever."

 "Why would you do that to your students," my husband asked.

"They were out of control," Sydney answered, "Obviously Mom is punishing them!"

Don't listen to my family...Nester is a beautiful cartoon with a sweet message of acceptance and how everyone has something special to offer as a gift. It also serves as a reliable vocabulary lesson. The children watched attentively for several minutes. "Wait," one kid said, suddenly sitting straight up, "What did that chubby angel call herself." "Cherub...that's what Mrs. Mosiman always calls us." They all turned to look at me. "What does cherub mean," another child asked. "It means fat," his friend answered. "No, it means angel," I smiled. Ohhhh...lightbulbs appeared over every head like little stars of Bethlehem. "What did you think it meant," I wondered. "Something bad," they said. Every year...it takes them until December to discover the meaning of "cherub." Happily, it takes much less time for them to figure out the true meaning of Christmas as this year we decided to forego a customary student gift exchange and instead purchase presents for pets! Thanks to my friend, Darlene, we obtained a wish list from our local dog shelter and my little elves went to town! Cleaning supplies, homemade blankets, food, toys and treats arrived by the giftbag-full! The kids were so excited to unwrap, sort and stack our inventory! This year...no one was jealous, or disappointed, or greedy.  This year, everyone was generous and giving and kind. (And loud.)
This year, instead of the light streaming into Room 24...we re-directed it so that it shone outward.

"Like the Bat Signal, Mrs. Mosiman?"

Okay...so maybe they haven't COMPLETELY grasped the true meaning of Christmas yet but Holy Hallelujah Choir, we're getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment