Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Feeling a little "flushed" on the first day

I decided to make an interactive attendance bulletin board. I am an idiot. The creation of said bulletin board was ridiculously labor-intensive. I took a picture of each student, front view and back view. "This is creepy, Mrs. Mosiman," one 4th grader gently told me as he waited in line. "Just never mind," I snapped peevishly, "it's going to be wonderful." Later that day, I spent an hour re-formatting and cropping each photo, cutting them to size before heading off to the laminator. I had positioned the two views back-to-back with the idea that, when a student arrived in the morning, he would push-pin his picture front view out, indicating he was in class. At the end of the day, the child then flips the picture to signal his departure from the school. Brighter-minds-than-mine might say, "Mrs. Mosiman, we know that you have six years of quality teaching experience and a big ol' fancy degree but isn't the physical presence of the student in your classroom a pretty good indicator that the child is there? And, should the child not go to school on some particular day, might you not notice from the vacated desk alone?" Yeah...well, shows what you all know! Children benefit greatly by being actively involved in the attendance-rendering process and your better-than-the-average-bear educator will go to great lengths to waste an enormous amount of time and energy to create an interactive bulletin board that might be used for maybe two or three days. So there! Anyhoo, as I frantically laminated forty-two photographs, using all my strength to pull the heated plastic from the resistant rollers, a reoccurring and disturbing image began to materialize. In the midst of my photographing fervor, I failed to notice that boys tend to stand a certain way. As the rear-view photos emerged from the laminator, I looked and then looked again. Oh no. Let's just say that the boys looked as though, after an extended visit to the water fountain, they were "relieved" to be going home. Now what? I had enthusiastically shared this idea with the children and had explained that the board would be operational tomorrow when they arrived in the morning. Oh no! What about Open House! I guess we could rename it "Out House." I titled this award-winning bulletin board with ironic yellow lettering spelling out: "Attendance" but maybe I should subtitle it: "Sometimes urine and sometimes you're out."

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I love it. This is so you and so funny! I'm going to have to to stop in tomorrow to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee Berwanger reversed direction this morning to accompany me to my classroom to confirm my story. She did an admirable job keeping a professional face as she observed my train wreck of a bulletin board! Seeing is definitely believing!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! Well written and very entertaining. You are a superb teacher. This bulletin board idea reminds me of something my mother would have tried to do. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah! I was glad to hear of your recent recovery...I love, love, love seeing the posted pictures of your beautiful baby!

      Delete
  3. It was a good idea, just need to position the boys differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands to the sides, boys! Hands to the sides! Now I know why the police on tv shows are always demanding to see a perpetrator's hands!

    ReplyDelete